Thursday, May 21, 2009

In Step with the Spirit



Tonight in our Young Professionals bible study we are discussing a short devotional on walking in "step" with the Spirit of God. Not rushing ahead, not lagging behind. Somehow finding that perfect timing of knowing exactly what the right thing to do is.

Doesn't that sound like you need a crystal ball?

After reading the brief article and thinking on the subject I realized that I would much rather rush ahead of God and see if things work out, then sit around and wait for a voice or thunderbolt from Heaven. But is that such a wrong viewpoint? I tend to think that if I start to pursue something, having peace as I proceed, if at one point God does not want me on that path He will make it abundantly clear.

I think it is oftentimes easier to see the wrong decision then to see the right one. I feel in life that in most areas, once you can discern blatant sin, we are faced with a multitude or right decisions. Probably all of which God will bless! We would drive ourselves crazy if we always contradict the "what if's" in life.

I also have experienced heading down a path that ended up being "wrong" only to have it lead to "right". Take for instance my decision to go to Law School in San Diego. After 7 months, I realized this was not the path for me. But I didn't regret starting down it. Instead it led me to my Graduate program that was a perfect fit for me. I would have never ended up in that program or in San Diego if I hadn't first started in Law School.

How do I know if I am "step" with the Spirit? I guess as long as I have peace, am not in sin and can see God's hand in my life then I am on the right path.

No comments: