Saturday, May 8, 2010

Just like the picture

Don't you just love the satisfaction of creating or experiencing something that is just like the picture? Whether it be a physical picture or a mental image, there is some kind of accomplishment and normalcy with the replication.

On a physical level I had personal satisfaction last night after making one of my favorite recipes. I looked down at the simmering pot of Chipotle cheese soup and realized it looked exactly like the image in the recipe book. That must mean success to some degree!



I remember this time last year getting ready for my birthday cruise. I had an expectation of what I would experience based on the pictures I had seen of the boat, the water, the beach, the islands. Anything different than those images would have probably resulted in disappointment.

In my life, I have mental images to coincide with my expectations and goals. A series of graphics strung together that result in my life's journey. But what happens if one of the images is suddenly removed or distorted? What happens if the job image doesn't look just like I see it in my mind's eye? What if someone in my family gets sick or even dies?

What I had foreseen for 2010 is not what 2010 is shaping up to be. It does feel like a loss or a failure. But what if I approach it as a child? What if i cling to Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Our Father has a plan, a picture in His mind. 2010 is exactly what He thought it would be.

1 comment:

Dawn Shultz said...

For many years, I pictured what it would be like to have you in our lives, and the reality is FAR better than I ever dreamed! We are so blessed to have you.