Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Death by Suburbia???

I have isolated a problem. I have a bad attitude. Is there such a thing as "Death by Subrbia"? What is your initial reaction to a title such as that?

This is the topic of our Sunday School class. We are reading a book with this title and from the minute I heard it...it has rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully I am alone in this...hopefully my background and the filter with which I view the world, life and my relationship with God makes me singular in my contempt.

Suburbia is by definition = a residential area outside the city center.

Culturally I guess we all have a picture in our mind when we think of the suburbs... Starbucks, Suv's, Cute houses, kids running in the streets, book clubs, yard sales.... Sounds like a scary place to me!

Trying to keep an open mind...I began reading the book. I figured if I was going to have an opinion...it should at least be an educated one. I got to page two and closed it...I just can't bring myself to do it... Every barb at suburban life was like a knife in my heart.

Maybe the reason is this. I love the suburbs. It is safe.... It is what I have prayed for, put myself through college for, moved 2000 miles for... I see the suburbs as an answer to prayer and a gift from God. Finally I have my own yard, finally I have my own cute little house, it will be my kids soon running through the sprinklers.

Does this make me less dependant on God? I guess maybe it could...if my heart was not so full of gratitude for what He has done in my life.

2 comments:

Francie S. said...

What's the ETA on the kids in sprinklers thing? ;)

Mary Zolene said...

Haha...not sure yet! Maybe when there is a little Francie available to join in the fun...