Friday, September 25, 2009

Taxi's

If you know me really well you probably already know I am not a big fan of public transportation. It isn't that I am a snob...it is that I don't like someone else being in charge of my transportation. I would much rather drive myself thank you very much.

But this week in DC I was reminded of the limited taxi experiences I have had, and added a few more memories for the taxi memory bank.

I needed to take a taxi to go visit my Togolese Aunt and Uncle. The ride there was mostly without anything note worthy although I think my nervousness must have shown and he cheated me on the money situation. I confirmed the cheating on my return way home...next time driver from Ethiopia you are not cheating me an extra $3!

On the way back my Aunt and Uncle insisted on walking with me and helping me hail a taxi. Now the whole "hailing a taxi" thing has always been problematic for me. I remember the very first time I tried was with my sister Holly in DC and we ended up in fits of giggles because we apparently had not watched/payed attention enough to the movies. Took us FOREVER to get one...

This week I wanted to giggle SO bad because my Aunt's style of hailing a taxi was to raise her arm and hiss. Yes, HISS!! Like something between a snake and a cat! Hilarious! Especially since their windows are rolled up and there was no way the drivers would hear her.

Here is me in my taxi ride with the cheating driver. :) Yeah I guess the look on my face is nervousness...

1 comment:

Dawn Shultz said...

Interesting that you like trains because someone else is driving but don't like taxis because someone else is driving! When we were in Tianjin, it was always best to have Nicole or Amanda with us, because taxi driver flocked to the pretty white girls!