Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Making Mistakes




Every day as part of my morning wake up routine at work I read my I-Google homepage where I have different applications. Things like headline news, weather, a couple blogs, and quotes of the day.

Yesterday's quote really caught my attention and I knew it was worth some self reflection and a spot on my blog. Take a moment to read and re-read it.

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all.
- Peter McWilliams

This is the epitome of my biggest character weakness. It takes ALOT of mental coaxing to propel me out of my comfort zone and into a situation where the possibility of making a mistake is imminent.

Take for instance the recent conversation I had with my husband about learning French. I am scared to learn French because there is really no way to do it without making tons of mistakes! The process would be riddled with mis-pronounced words and faux pas. So unfortunately for our family I have stubbornly not attempted it.

There are a few accomplishments in this area however that I must also mention. Things that I have conquered and forged through whatever mistakes needed to be present for the learning curve.

Scuba diving lessons and Swing Dance come to mind right away. Because unfortunately this weakness even branches into the "fun" area of my life! Sad isn't it! Someone needs to stretch me out of my comfort bubble!

Most recently this quote reaches into my newest adventure of parenting. I do have to admit that the first couple years of our marriage I was scared to death to have a baby- knowing the potential for messing up their little life is a high percentage!

But sometimes you have to look at what you want- knowing there will be mistakes made- and go for it anyway. Asking God to help you through the ever present learning curve. Asking Him to cover your mistakes with his Grace and help you learn from them.

No comments: