Thursday, December 18, 2008

Stockings on my Fireplace






This Christmas is not quite shaping up how I had envisioned it. We have gotten lots of bad news in the last two weeks that have altered what I envisioned our first Christmas in our home to be like.

I am choosing, by sheer gut power of my will to focus on my blessings instead of what my imagination is telling me should have been.

Although the attached picture is of our apartment in San Diego, we have the same exact little tree and little stockings...only this year they are hanging over my lovely gas fireplace. Up against my newly painted wall inside my very own living room.

I may not have been able to put the presents under it that I wanted, or cook the meal that I was hoping, but we are safe, we are warm, we are healthy and we are happy.

You will not be getting a Christmas card from me this year...but I plan on doing what I did this year and send out Easter cards instead. :) You will probably spend more time reading it anyway.






4 comments:

Jen said...

The reasons for our less-than-we-hoped-for-Christmas might be different but we're right there with ya, sister! I'm learning slowly that it's only when God takes things away that we can really bask in the blessings that he gives. It's a hard lesson and I feel for ya. Thanks so much for being honest and real. It's encouraging to hear!

Holly said...

Hope everything is okay.

mejane said...

I LOVED your Easter cards last year! But I would have relished a Christmas card too. Sorry to hear that your "perfect" Christmas didn't pan out this year. There are many more coming in the future and I'm sure there will be plenty of absolutely delightful holidays coming your way. I am so glad that you can focus on all of your blessings this year.
Thanks for praying for Jake's MRI! You and Eman are wonderful friends and I truly felt your prayers coming our way.

Laurie and company said...

you are in my thoughts and prayers...hope things look up soon! right there with you as well!